Chapped lips are a common condition that only occurs for most people. But some people may develop a more severe form of chapped lips called cheilitis. Cheilitis can be caused by an infection, characterized by cracked skin at the corners of the lips.
Lips don’t contain oil glands like other parts of the skin. This means lips are more susceptible to drying out and becoming chapped (cracked). Lack of moisture can make the problem worse, whether it’s weather-induced or related to a lack of self-care. Little humidity in the air during the winter months is known to cause chapped lips. Frequent sun exposure in the summer can also worsen your condition.
Another common cause of chapped lips is habitual licking. Saliva from the tongue can further strip the lips of moisture, causing more dryness.
Home remedies for chapped lips
– Honey and Vaseline – The nutritional characteristics of honey make this food an antibacterial agent with an important role in healing. Similarly, vaseline is considered one of the best skin protectors. By combining these two substances, you will get one of the most effective remedies for cracked lips. Apply honey to your lips and let it dry for a few seconds. Without moving your lips too much, apply grease above. Allow the mix to act for 10-15 seconds. Then remove it with warm water without rubbing it. Do this once a day for 2-5 days.
– Coconut Oil – Spread a small amount of coconut oil into the cracked lips several times a day, especially when the weather is cold and dry.
– Water – Because the main cause of dry or chapped lips is dehydration, it is advisable to consume at least 2-3 liters of water daily. In winter, in heated rooms, use the humidifier to keep the air wet.
– Cucumber – Rub your lips with a slice of cucumber. Many people have found that this is a simple but very effective remedy for chapped lips.
– Aloe Vera – Benefits of Aloe vera plant, transform it into a true healing herb in skin disorders. To heal your chapped lips try to put a small amount of aloe vera gel daily on your lips.